How to Install a Backyard Putting Green
- With its sunny days and warm weather, Nashville is a dream city for golf enthusiasts.
- But fighting traffic and making it to the golf course can be challenging.
- How great would it be if you had your own, private putting green in your backyard?
- This dream can become a reality! Smart Scapes designs and installs backyard putting greens!
- All you have to do is sit back, relax, and watch your outdoor space be transformed!
- Ready for your own golf course in your backyard? Call (615) 356-0139 for a free estimate!
When we think of a backyard putting green, our thoughts probably turn to those little mats you can buy on Amazon or at a golf surplus store. But a backyard putting green made with synthetic turf and installed by professionals is a completely different level of golf-enthusiast excellence. This isn’t a little mat you put in your office or on your back porch. This is the real deal, a professional-grade golf green, brought to scale for your own residential property. Smart Scapes if fully certified with over 25 years of landscape architecture and putting green design and installation. Find out how a putting green can enhance your outdoor space today by calling (615) 356-0139. You can also fill out our “Contact Us” form at the bottom of this webpage.
The Components of an Outdoor Putting Green
While a finished putting green may look simple enough, there are several components which go into the creation of an outdoor synthetic putting green. Short game putting greens built into clients’ backyards or commercial parcels will include multiple turfs, one to three infill systems, a hardy geotextile barrier, and a good deal of compacted stone and gravel as a base layer.
Furthermore, every putting green project will differ in its installation process, based off of the site itself, accessibility to the site, the possible need for retaining walls, the need for grading and sodding, the type of green desired (one with undulations, water hazards, sand traps, contours, etc.), and so on. Needless to say, a lot goes into building a backyard putting green, but no job is too big or too small for the expert contractors in this field. Want expert contractors on your next project? Call our estimations department at (615) 356-0139 today to get started!
Creating a Backyard Putting Green
The installation process to create a backyard putting green is quite extensive. But it is absolutely worth it, as a well-made putting green lasts for decades. And while such greens might look simple enough on the outside, most of the magic that creates a durable, well-performing putting green is actually happening beneath the polypropylene grass fibers.
Here’s what a DIY installation process looks like for a basic, totally level and flat, nothing fancy, 8×12 backyard putting green:
- First, a level site that is free of depressions, bumps, and drain ways is chosen.
- Next, the synthetic turf is rolled out over the existing grass, again checking for level.
- Outline the edge of the green with a weed whacker or grass edger, cutting into the existing grass and following the contours of the putting green, sort of like a stencil.
- Now, pull back the synthetic turf, and observe the outlined section of grass that needs removal.
- Remove the grass sod down to the dirt or roots, staying within the cut lines made by the weed whacker.
- Now clean up the existing outline, removing all excess sod, roots, grass clipping, etc. from the cut-out space.
- Next, add 30-grain sand, #8 crusher rock, or some other form of base infill layer and smooth that out. The ratio is eight pounds of base material for every square foot of green.
- Compact the base layer with a hand tamper, gas tamper, or roller of some kind.
- Now roll out the green once again, forming it over the base layer of sand or crushed rock.
- Dig in ball cup holes with a trowel or hole cutter and install cups in the hole.
- Clean up the green of any excess dirt, grass clippings, or other detritus.
- Add markers and flags.
This is the most basic installation process for a simple, universal, 8×12 foot backyard putting green. For anything larger or more complex with custom undulations, contours, dips, rises, sand traps, elevations, water hazards, etc. a more extensive installation process will, of course, be needed.
Feel like the process is a little overwhelming? Would you like a free consultation? Call (615) 356-0139 today.
Why an Artificial Putting Green Works
An artificial putting green combines everything we love about the natural grass golf greens we use down at the country club or golf club, but without any of the extensive upkeep and maintenance requirements that are a part of why our monthly memberships at the golf club are always so high.
An artificial putting green works because the artificial grass itself is the key to the green. Artificial grass and synthetic turf do not need to be watered. They do not need to be mowed, weeded, edged, trimmed, fertilized, or pest controlled. They do not need to be replaced due to heavy use, because they do not get damaged by heavy use. Synthetic turf holds up use after use after use, day in and day out, for years on end. Thanks to advancements made in synthetic turf technology, we are able to create backyard putting greens that withstand all forms of use, all forms of weather, and all intensities of UV sunlight, delivering a bright green and enjoyable playing experience for years on end.
Smart Scapes LLC – Innovative Design and Installation Contractors for Synthetic Turf
When locals wonder, “Who is the best outdoor putting green contractor in Nashville?”, we hope to answer that call, every time. Smart Scapes LLC and Celebrity Greens strive to be the first name that anyone thinks of when they think of design and installation for championship golf greens, backyard putting greens for residential use, and commercial golf putting greens. We create signature putting greens out of the best synthetic turf available.
At Smart Scapes LLC, we source only U.S.-made artificial grasses and synthetic turfs as our materials. Our designers have years of experience designing complex and fully unique landscaping projects, and they have a knack for communicating with clients, understanding what they want, and making a client’s dream a reality on 3D design software. Our installation technicians know the golf game well, and they know backyard putting green installation like the back of their hand, having done hundreds of expert jobs over the years.
For direct insight into our project portfolio, customer testimonials, and other valuable information for homeowners and business owners alike, check out our website at www.landscapesnashville.com. You can call our design and estimation team at (615) 356-0139 to schedule a free consultation. And for more questions about backyard putting green installation, check out our FAQ below.
Frequently Asked Questions About Artificial Grass and Practice Putting Greens
Backyard putting greens made from artificial grass is a new and amazing technology. But as with any new technology, there will be general amazement and of course a flood of questions that follow. Check out the following five most commonly asked questions and answers that we here at Smart Scapes LLC tend to get. If you have more questions, feel free to call our direct line and speak with a specialist who can further assist you, at (615) 422-5263 (LAND).
- What is a Smart Scapes LLC and Celebrity Greens putting green?
- It’s the best of the best in synthetic turf putting greens. Made from recyclable materials and held to rigorous standards set by federal, state, and local regulations, a Smart Scapes LLC and Celebrity Greens putting green is fully non-toxic, UV-protected, warrantied, and guaranteed to perform to perfect satisfaction for decades.
- What is a sand-filled green?
- Putting greens have what's called an “infill” layer between the green itself and the natural dirt soil beneath. This sand infill allows for the creation of contours and elevation changes, as well as creating a soft, springy, uniform surface in tandem.
- How much does a putting green cost?
- That depends greatly on the project at hand, but most putting greens can be purchased, designed, and installed for ten to twenty dollars per square foot.
- Can you let pets out on a putting green?
- Absolutely. Pets would be hard pressed to damage a synthetic turf putting green, and even if they use the bathroom on it, liquids pass through the green and into the infill layers and soil beneath, and solids are easy enough to clean up off of it, as they tend to rest atop the polymer grass blades, as opposed to falling down into the green itself.
- What is the difference between U.S.-made putting greens and imported greens?
- Everything. As mentioned above, U.S.-made putting greens are non-toxic, fully recyclable, have no cheap fillers added to them, do not fade in the sun, and they meet federal, state, and local regulations for authenticity and safety.
Interested in a putting green? Call our direct line at (615) 422-5263 (LAND), or call our estimations department directly at (615) 356-0139. You can also fill out our online contact form and one of our experts will reach out to you.
We provide Commercial and Residential Landscaping Services in these Areas